Work Permits

Virginia law requires students aged 14 and 15 to obtain a work permit prior to beginning a job. Parents can now electronically access, complete, and download the required forms.The application requires submission of two documents: a Permission for Employment form and an Employer Intent to Employ form. These need to be submitted to the Virginia Labor and Employment Law Division.

  • The Permission for Employment form must be completed by the youth’s parent, guardian or cus­todian and signed before a Notary Public. A notary is required by law to affix a seal or stamp on every document he or she notarizes. The stamp or seal needs to be sharp, legible, permanent and photo­graphically reproducible. Many banks provide notary public services.
  • The Intent to Employ form must be completed by the employer. The youth must furnish a copy of an acceptable evidence of age document. The employer must retain and certify to the Labor and Employment Law Division the legal age for employment.

The Code of Virginia §40.1-94 establishes the following as legal evidence of age documents:

  • A birth certificate
  • An attested transcript issued by a registrar of vital statistics or other officer charged with the duty of recording births
  • A baptismal record or duly certified transcript thereof showing the date of birth and place of baptism of the child
  • Other documentary proof of age specified by the Commissioner, which includes any government-issued identification card such as a passport, DMV identification card or military identification card.

Only complete forms can be accepted for processing. Faxed documents cannot be accepted. Original forms must be submitted by U.S. mail.After completion by the appropriate parties, mail the forms to:Department of Labor & Industry Child Labor Unit  1570 E. Parham Rd.Richmond, VA 23228-2360. No child may begin employment until the employment certificate is issued. Upon approval, it will be mailed directly to the employer. Please allow seven to ten business days processing time. Incomplete forms will cause a delay, so double check them before you put them in the mail.For more information and to access the documents needed for a work permit, please go to